REVIEW | Elizabeth Arden Sponge-On Cream Foundation


On Tuesday morning, I headed over to the Beauty Bulletin head office where I had an interview for a Beauty Editor Internship position. The interview seemed to have gone on alright, but the team asked me to do a review for a product of my choosing. Naturally, I chose makeup so I was then given this foundation to review. 


This is the first time I am using an Elizabeth Arden product as well as a cream-based foundation. I cannot give you a specific reason as to why I have never experimented with cream-based foundations but it certainly isn't due to lack of exploring. My go-to foundations are of the liquid variety. I tend to frequent my MAC Pro Longwear in NC50 accompanied by my MAC Pro Longwear Concealer in NC45. I have been mixing these two shades of late because I've been steering clear of the sun and the NC50 foundation alone tends to make me look slightly orange. We don't want that.

So, this cream foundation by Elizabeth Arden certainly surprised me. Not that I was expecting not to do well but I certainly underestimated the type of finish that cream-based foundations leave. So if you are combination-skinned like me, you probably tend to reach for foundations that leave you looking and feeling mattefyed. 


Most people would suggest that oily-skinned people should use powder foundations as a way to control shine and perspiration. However, there is nothing I detest more that powdered foundation. I don't appreciate the way they make me look dry- as though I forgot to apply cream on my face, and I am not fond of the way they often appear cakey regardless if you had only applied one layer. So, cream-based foundations are very good when they set to a matte finish while still allowing you to look sun-kissed and dewy. The Elizabeth Arden Sponge-On Cream Foundation does just that.

The name itself suggests that one uses a makeup sponge as an applicator. I'm one hundred percent big on sponges unless its the Beauty Blender or the Real Techniques Complexion Sponge. I doubt that either of these are available in South Africa but you can certainly buy them online - Amazon.co.uk 

I, however, used my hands to apply it as I do my other foundations. Brushes and sponges tend to absorb more of the product than is necessary making you wonder after two weeks how your bottle of foundation finished so quickly! Apart from that, your fingers/hands will leave you with an absolutely flawless result that a brush or sponge won't be able to give you.

Any-who, here is the video and I hope you enjoy it!

sigblogger

Labels: ,