Lush Lash Lust-Haves

 I have the dilemma of having short but curly lashes. I think most Black women are in the same boat as me and if you agree, you will know that the struggle is real when it comes to finding a great mascara that can make your peepers pop. So in this post, I'm going to suggest a few mascaras that have worked for me and why I think you should give them a go.


LASH PRIMERS
About two years ago I discovered the benefits of priming my lashes. Its a step when applying mascara that I don't skip. As you would prime your face for optimal foundation application, so should you for mascara. Most come with added benefits like conditioning and growth properties while others simply elongate and separate creating a great base for your next step. 

The Smashbox Photo Finish Lash Primer (R250 at Woolworths) is brand new to the brand and it's a BEAST when it comes to lifting and separating lashes in preparation for mascara. It is white in colour but after you have applied your actual mascara, all that white will disappear from view.

Estèe Lauder's Little Black Primer™ (R315 at Edgars) has become another favourite of mine in recent months. It's not white in colour like other lash primers are and the beauty with this one is that you can apply it alone for tinted, natural looking lashes. Think 06:00am gym make-up: you have a super hot trainer and want to make your eyes pop without trying to hard!

If you loved the Benefit They're Real Mascara, this primer will soon become a must-have too. Much like your Little Black Primer ™, the Benefit They're Real Tinted Primer (R295 at Red Square) will give lashes a feathery, natural look. But instead of black ink, the San Francisco cosmetics powerhouse have opted for a genuine mink brown hue. Layer this baby up with the cult classic mascara for a dramatic boost in length.


LENGTHENING
After priming, the next thing I am concerned about is length. If you don't like the look of clumped lashes, consider these options. The Smashbox X-Rated Mascara (R280 at Woolworths) is also new to the brand and is ideal for magnifying each lash. The triple bristles on the wand will comb through each lash separating it for optimal length without clumping and smudging. Paired with the Smashbox Photo Finish Lash Primer, the results are truly out of this world. I was super impressed with how my lashes looked. 


The Benefit They're Real Mascara (R295 at Red Square) is also a favourite for separating and elongating creating a beautiful false lash effect. Millions of girls around the world are obsessed and when it launched in South Africa last year, I was happy to become a statistic too. The only downside to this mascara is the sharpness of the bristles - I've poked my eye out one too many times. 

VOLUMIZING 
So, now that we've got a primer to lift and a mascara to lengthen, we need another for volume. Keep in mind that you don't have a buy three mascara for a shot at decent lashes. Most come with the ability to both lengthen and volumize so the only other addition you would need is a lash primer. Either way, these are my top picks for mascaras that provide maximum volume.

Estèe Lauder Sumptuous Extreme Lash Multiplying Volume Mascara; MAC False Lashes Mascara 
The Estèe Lauder Sumptuous Extreme Lash Multiplying Volume Mascara (R345 at Edgars) has been my BFF for the last couple of months. My lashes magnify in length and volume right before my eyes. They can tend to bunch individual lashes together so to manage that, my suggestion would be to separate with the Estèe Lauder's Little Black Primer™ then proceed to multiply and magnify with this mascara. The MAC False Lash Mascara (R250 at Edgars) will also give you that false lash effect you crave. The bristles are smaller so less clumping but I would still advise a great lifting and separating primer before hand. 

I rarely find the use of an eyelash curler except for when I want to blend my natural lashes with false strip lashes. Also, remember that you can layer as many mascaras as you want. I layer about three everyday! 

Do you have a favourite mascara? Let me know below!

Labels: , , , ,