4 Make-Up Removers Worth Your Time


the start of a new month. YAY! Completely unrelated though, I thought I would share a few eye makeup removers I have come to love over the years. From oil based to your favourite emulsions, I certainly have my favourites and I'm sure you will too once I've dished on why I reach for these four the most.

Elizabeth Arden All Gone Eye and Lip Make-Up Remover
Price: R195
Where: Edgars/Red Square
Okay so I love two-phase make-up removers. When shaken well, this one from Elizabeth Arden is a treat that gently removes waterproof and even transfer-resistant make-up. With a few gentle swipes, consider all traces of stubborn mascara and kohl liner gone. It also works perfectly on days when I have opted for some of my favourite heavy-duty won't-budge liquid lipsticks. My dehydrated skin is also a fan of the fact that it does not leave it feeling tight or dry after cleansing. 

Lipidol Cleansing Face Oil
Price: R79, 95 125ml
Where: Clicks
So this cleansing face oil is locally produced and I hadn't tried it out until very recently. In fact I received it during my time at Beauty Bulletin while the company was prepping for a pending Lipidol campaign. I've always been hesitant to use facial oils, cleansing or otherwise, as I have always felt that the ingredient list would only add to my already oily t-zone. Nevertheless, I gave it a bash because the reviews were overwhelmingly positive. I was super impressed with the thoroughness in which all traces of make-up was dissolved. However, my eyes did become slightly irritated but this could either have been a result of the fragrance added to ingredient list (which I honestly believe they could have done without) or dissolved mascara that managed to seep into my peepers. Long story short, if you're not sensitive around the eyes and want an easy approach to removing make-up and dirt build-up, slot this one in your basket the next time you visit a Clicks store. How to use: pour a liberal amount into dry hands and massage onto a dry face. Watch in amazement as it dissolves makeup and oil-based dirt. Add a small amount of water and massage face again to create a milky emulsion. Rinse and pat dry. 

Bioderma Sensibio H20 
Price: From R189
Where: Dis-Chem/Clicks
Micellar cleansing waters were a huge hit last year. Just a little crash course, micelles are active molecules suspended in water that act as a magnet to effectively but gently remove dirt, oil and impurities without irritating the skin. The Bioderma Sensibio range is a favourite for many because it really caters to those that have sensitive and intolerant skin. Of late, my skin has related poorly to any irritant stimuli no matter how minute so the Bioderma Sensibio H20 Makeup Removing Micelle Solution has been more than welcomed. How to use: saturate a cotton pad with the solution and gently wipe away dirt, oil and makeup.

Nimue Eye Make-up Remover
Price: TBA
Where: Selected spas
This eye make-up remover is relatively new and you can trust Nimue to innovate something that has more than a couple beneficial qualities for your skin. The Nimue Eye Make-Up Remover is a soap-free emulsion that contains active ingredient GGP which works to smooth out fine lines and wrinkles. So not only are you removing eye and lip make-up effectively, but you're tackling ageing too. Just like the other make-up removers on this list, this one won't leave skin feeling tight or dry but  instead moisturised. P.S. It is suitable for contact lens wearers, is comedogenic and hypo-allergenic too.

Do you have your favourites when it comes to eye make-up removers?