#TopShelf: Smashbox Photo Finish Primer Oil


The beauty industry is saturated with hundreds of different kinds of face primers and face oils. It's not surprising then that Smashbox thought to combine the two together in an effort to create a one-of-a-kind 2-in-1 product. However, taking a closer look at the ingredients list, I'm lead to believe it's not as 2-in-1 as you might think. Face oil? Yes. Make-up primer? Hmmm, not so much. But it still made it onto my top shelf and here is why...

I have combination skin, so my dry cheeks appreciate the essential and lipid-rich cocktail of plant oils present in the Smashbox Photo Finish Primer Oil. Of course, as the name suggests, you are encouraged to apply this before make-up of which the result will be a dewy, radiant, liquid luminous finish. Keeping in mind that I prefer moisturising lotions as opposed to silicone based primers, I wasn't exactly put off that this didn't fulfull the requirements of an actual primer which is to increase the longevity of make-up. Instead, I was more in love with the look of my skin when I used it before applying a really drying and mattifying foundation like Estée Lauder's Double Wear. 

The plastic clear bottle and dropper applicator, much like the packaging of face oils, is what also appealed to me. It makes it easy to deposit a drop of product to whichever foundation I'm using or onto a beauty blender or foundation brush so that make-up can melt into the skin and blend beautifully. 

It's also high on my list of recommendations because its use is not limited for use to your face. You can also apply a few drops to split-ends, cuticles, elbows and your clavicle for a dewy, youthful sheen.

Thinking of picking it up yourself? It retails for R450 at Woolworths.

Labels: , ,